Gloucester Marine Genomics Institute (GMGI) is an exciting independent marine research institute that is applying innovative genomic technologies to marine science for discoveries that impact fisheries and human health. GMGI has a full-time position for a Research Associate who will play an important role in contributing to our fisheries research programs.
The ideal candidate will have strong experience in molecular biology/ecology applied to fisheries questions and knowledge of common molecular laboratory techniques and data analysis. The candidate must be capable of working
independently to design experiments, generate high quality data, and analyze results for a variety of projects directed by GMGI research staff. Experience with collection and processing of fisheries samples and analysis of environmental DNA (eDNA) for assessing biodiversity and species presence/absence is highly desirable. This position is an extraordinary opportunity for an ambitious and entrepreneurial person who is interested in helping to create a world-class research institute.
- Design and execute experiments using molecular biology/genomics techniques
- DNA/RNA isolations and quantification, PCR, qPCR, RT-qPCR
- Next-generation sequencing using the Illumina platform
- Develop protocols for assessing biodiversity and species presence from eDNA samples
- Strong knowledge of experimental design, bioinformatics, and statistics
- Organize and execute field collections for fisheries and eDNA samples, processing and archiving samples, including necropsy and harvesting tissues
- Prepare reports as requested and contribute to grant proposals and manuscripts
- Background reading suited to individual projects
- Training of staff or interns on research techniques as required
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in biology, molecular biology, marine biology, or related discipline
- Experience in fisheries and/or aquaculture research
- Experience with molecular biology methods (e.g. qPCR, RT-qPCR, Next-Generation Sequencing)
- Capable of planning and executing experiments with minimal supervision
- Experience working with modern molecular biology/genomics instruments
- Knowledge of population genetics theory and data analysis
- Familiarity with the command line interface, Linux, and R
- Excellent writing and documentation skills
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- Integrity towards scientific research and data quality
- Capable of working in a start-up environment, with work changing to adapt to needs
- Enthusiasm and commitment to GMGI’s mission for science and education
- Self-starting, independent, creative thinker with strong problem-solving skills
This position requires the desire, persistence and ability to work in a start-up environment and to help build a transformative research institute.
This position will report to the Senior Fisheries Research Associate.
It's our goal as an employer to provide an enriching and supportive environment for our employees. We are proud to offer a benefit package that includes:
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Medical and Dependent Flex Spending Accounts
- Long Term Disability
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- 403(b) Retirement Plan
- 10 Paid Holidays
How to apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Applicants must be authorized to work in the US.
Gloucester Marine Genomics Institute (GMGI) was launched in 2013 in the belief that the ocean represents a new source of opportunity. As a not-for-profit whose ambitious mission is to “address critical challenges facing our oceans, human health and the environment through innovative scientific research and education” GMGI is demonstrating that there is vast potential in marine science discovery powered by genomics. GMGI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and all aspects of employment are based on merit, competence, performance and business need.
In addition to researching diversity in our oceans, GMGI is committed to supporting diversity in our workforce and classrooms. We know that having varied backgrounds and experiences stimulates discussion and new ideas. We
are committed to taking action on diversity, equity, and inclusion through providing substantial training opportunities to increase our self-awareness as an organization, and building a team of staff and students from uniquely
Please visit our website for more information: www.gmgi.org